Wednesday 1 December 2010

Its arrived

Yep the snow is here, although it is no where near as bad up north, but my poor poor girls. still only half feathered they are really beginning to feel the cold. During the day we have a heater pointing out of the garage door at the garden and the girls almost take it in turns to warm up, except for Lottie who would charge for the privilege if she could.
I am feeding them a pellet porridge three times a day to get some warm food in them.
The recipe is
take half a pint of boiling water, add pellets gradually until mixture resembles a watery yoghurt mixture, then add a treat, ( I add a handful of corn and meal worm). it will thicken slightly.
it will have cooled down by the time you have reached the top of the garden and they will love it.
In between the porridge they have a feeder filled with normal ex bat pellet food which they eat as well as the porridge.
today the wind was bitter and the girls certainly didnt like it. They were either in the run which is covered with heavy plastic, or darting to the area which is heated.
The local weather has predicted that temperatures will drop to -10 or -12 tomorrow night so have gone into panic mode. Although I cover the run with a rubber mat on the roof of the coop, followed by cardboard which covers all sides of the coop then a thick plastic I am still worried that this will not be enough to keep them warm.
I think tomorow I will have to rearrange the garage so that I can move the coop into the garage for a bit more protection. unfortunately my husband, stuart, is at work so I will have to do it my self.
If I get the coop itself in the garage with the run through the door I think I might be able to cope. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment