Saturday 27 November 2010

Brrrrr!!!

Being in the midlands we havent had the snow yet, but by gum its cold. I can tell its cold as the three doves, the wren, Mr Robin and the tits have all started to feast on chicken food too. I totally love watching them from the kitchen window whilst chained to the sink and cooker, but its all so nice to see.
The grils are ok, Aggi is still limping and I noticed they had drawn her blood again. So she thoroughly enjoyed a cuddle this morning whilst having her bottom neck and wings sprayed purple. I was amazed at juts how warm she is in this weather, so can happily assume the others are the same.
Lily, lottie and Ada have only to hear the door open and come running to get food, they'll happily eat out of anyones hand. Roxie, Ronnie, and Aggi are still very timid, but are never very far away. I still have to make sure they get their bit of food but all their crops are nice and full.
I had delivery of the compost bin the other evening and put it in position this morning. I clean the coop totally on a Saturday morning and put all the old stuff in the bin together with what I had saved over the week. Needless to say I think I should have got a bigger compost bin as this one is more or less full. lets hope it breaks down quickly or I'll be back to putting it in the wheelie bin and trying to disguise it with other rubbish so that it gets taken on the normal bin day.
Now its sooooo cold I take great care in ensuring the coop is as warm as I can get it at night. The run gets covered in a thick plastic, held down with batons of wood, and the coop is surrounded with thick cardbpoard and then covered with plastic. It seems to be working really well at the moment. I just hope the cold doesnt hang around for too long.
They have to put themselves to bed again tonight as Santa is switching on the town lights. It will be a mad rush to get home and cover up the coop before the frost settles. At least they do go in on there own and I dont have to try and find them in the dark.
bring on spring is what I say. Til the next time shut your curtains and have a cup of hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment