Tuesday 16 November 2010

Day 4 in the ex bat house

Breakfast.
After another very cold night I was again a little worried. No matter how many times you are told they are ok, you still worry. its that mummy instinct. The cardboard I covered the coop and run with did the job, the run was nice and dry and when I opened the lid of the coop, I could tell they were warm enough.
No eggs so far this morning but then I have been wondering when they would stop, I guess the ones that were in the system are now in my fridge.
All the girls were more than keen to go down the ramp for brekkie. I have decided that while its so cold they can have some warm corn mixed in their ex bat pellets, and I give them some warm water. I like a hot cup of coffee in the morning so why shouldnt they have warm water.
I have read that too much variation in the diet can cause problems initially, so am going to stick to ex bat pellets, corn and occasionally mealworm this week then slowly introduce some goodies. Having kept track of their poo I think this will be a good idea for the time being.
Will let them out again later, although it is really cold this morning and one has already decided to go back to bed for a bit, I dont blame her, I feel like that somedays, although three kids and a very typical husband, its rarely an option.  
I noticed this morning one has a slight limp, nothing major and I guess its because there legs are still weak, I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana, found your blog on Face Book BHWT

    I collected 4 hens 16th Oct and another 2 13th Nov, one of the original 4 had a very bad limp a couple of days after collecting her, we called her Peggy. She has continued to get stronger by the day and now only has a slight limp when running (as soon as they see me they come running down the garden - so funny to watch) My 2 new hens seem to be taking time to settle in and certaining dont like the cold weather, they dont look very happy at all. I let 1 out into the garden this morning, but a bit of bullying went on, 1 of my existing hens was jumping on the new one, so I had to put her back in the run as was worried about her weak legs etc. Hopefully they will all live happily together really soon.

    ReplyDelete